The Cut Out Alphabet

05 September 2013
You see (above) these standard issue alphabet cards that normally run above your chalkboard...I can't stand them.  They might be more annoying than a Vin Diesel Romantic Comedy (if there ever is/was such a thing).  Which is why as part of the Back-to-School rekindling of relationships with students--we created our own alphabet using National Geographic Explorer and Time For Kids Magazines.

We cut out full-size letters, found words with the specific letters, practiced sounds, and enjoyed the fruits of labor by creating this magnificent beast:


Kids (that I see) in all grades assisted and each group did something a little bit different.  Older students had to find images that matched the letters (which is tougher than it sounds, no pun intended), younger kids practiced letter identification and fine motor (cutting and pasting with glue) skills, and fun was had by all.  It's a nice change of pace for the Zaner-Bloser Boring print I've had in the past.  I'm thinking this will be a yearly event.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate Zaner Bloser.  It's just that most of the kid's work happens at a lower eye level and the alphabet is more decoration than strategy (or strategery if you like that word--I do).
I've also found that activities like these can be very insightful because the students will give me all sorts of information about their likes, dislikes, what they've been up to, and how they feel about the school year (which can sometimes be the most important thing to know about a child).

Have a good one and go make your own alphabet.

7 comments:

  1. Your alphabet (or should I say your students') line looks fantastic! Way better than the traditional one. We have done a similar activity with our color houses (students from all grades on a spirit team) only the letters made a word that went with our theme. The only problem - all the little pieces of scrap paper everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate those things too, but I've been looking for an idea. Well, look no further! Thanks, Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love alphabet books and made charts. How about adding stickers for those kids who are too young and struggle with scissors.
    Love the colorfulness of these letter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea, and it adds a neat pop of color to the room. I'm sure the kids really enjoyed this activity as well!

    Don't Let the Teacher Stay Up Late
    Follow me on Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top