Tried It Tuesday: Lexia Reading Core 5

01 October 2013
                                                      
I'm always curious to know what other districts are using for particular reading/math/writing programs to assist kids.  Honestly, it's even a bit more individualized with each school having their own sets of materials based on grants, type of enrollment, and classification for school types.  

For as long as I can remember the one stand-alone computer reading program that we've been using has been Lexia Reading.  Anyone else use this? (BUELLER, BUELLER) I can't tell you how old it is, but I'm guessing well over 10 years old--which for an online reading program is pretty impressive. Personally, I've been a big fan of Lexia because of how it leveled students, gave instant feedback, and also showed what they were succeeding at (or having the most difficulty with).  BUT NOW--it has been updated and is called CORE 5.  If I had to name it myself though, I would have gone with Xtreme CORE 5 just to excite the students.



I've been spending the last few weeks getting my students logged in, logging them on, and showing them the hot new program they get to destroy with the ever-increasing reading skills (and I mean that in a very positive way).  So far most have enjoyed it. This afternoon one of my students was banging out syllables on the table when he would hear the word--it was pretty cool.

Probably the biggest improvements with CORE 5 are that the new programs include so many more options and areas for students to practice.  

  • Comprehension:  Now students gets to read long passages and answer questions about the material like main idea, supporting details, etc.  This is huge.
  • Vocabulary:  I just had a student on level 16 and some of the words he was attacking were pretty impressive.  So impressive I'm not even going to list them because I don't know their meaning.
  • Immediate Response to Incorrect Answers:  If a student answers too many incorrect within a certain amount they are immediately moved to a differentiated level to practice the skill.  This is big, because in the older version they might redo the same level over and over.
  • iPad App:  THIS!!!  So easy to use and kids think they're using the iPad.  Sometimes it is all about the presentation.
  • Placement Test:  This is longer than most and the kids are tired by the end of it--and I like that.  It is very comprehensive.
There is a lot more I could talk about with the program, but I want to give it some more time.  So far the immediate impressions have been great and this program continues to  work well for the students.


One tip that I like to use with Lexia CORE 5 is this:  Make the students use the program without headphones and you sitting next to them.  Now I realize that this can't be done in a lot of classrooms because of the noise, but I can do it.

This technique allows me to be informed on how the program works, but also understand what and how my students are working/learning/processing information. I find this to be highly effective.

Just curious, but what kind of intervention programs do you or your school's use?
Do any of you have math programs on the computer (not counting fact fluency)?


So this is my Tried It Tuesday.  Thanks goes out to Holly for this wonderful link-up.


This just makes me laugh out loud.



4 comments:

  1. We have...District Wide
    Computer: Successmaker 6 from Pearson for Math & Reading. We used to have Ticket to Read from Voyager which I loved, but they won't let us purchase it additionally. The kids LOVED this program because they earned tickets for reading passages and could buy stuff for their secret clubhouse that they got to decorate. I loved the fluency part of it where you could have the kids walk up to your computer and you could do a quick check with them. They could also talk into a microphone and it would give them a fluency score. This was accessible at home and school.
    We also have Discovery Education Assessment and Online Streaming, Florida's computer program: FCAT Explorer for Reading, Math, and Science
    Paper materials: Harcourt Storytown, Harcourt Go Math, Harcourt Science Fusion(yep, all our eggs in one basket...all of these also provide digital textbooks and lessons) This year we got CCSS/Go Math and NOW Florida says we are not going with the PARCC and may be going with our own standards???? Flip-flop much?
    Social Studies-My World by Pearson with paper and digital materials
    Lexia looks and sounds cool. I love hearing about the kid banging out the syllables!
    The pandas were an added bonus.
    P.S. HOW ABOUT BREES??? YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of Lexia reading. Our school is huge on the STAR reading and math now (Renaissance Learning and coordinates with accelerated reader). We are encouraged to give students benchmark tests every five weeks now (the computer adjusts to their level as they are taking the test). Last year only AIS students (academic intervention) took the test that often and everyone else took it three times throughout the year. The program aligns to the CCSS and provides intervention materials but I haven't really explored that yet. We were just "trained" on that in August but the students just took their first benchmark test last week. The students' growth on the STAR assessments is also worked into our APPR teacher scores. It is weighted more heavily in grades that do not have a state assessment (K-2).

    We have dropped any math or ELA textbook series and are full in with NYS module work, but that is a whole other topic in itself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our school uses Raz-Kids (Learning A-Z) for reading and SuccessMaker from Pearson for reading and math. I've been pleased with both so far because it is so easy to track progress and the kids are engaged. SuccessMaker also has a ton of resources available for interventions or Tier 2/3 support or guided reading/math time. The downfall with SuccessMaker is that they have to be at school to use it, and there is no tablet app. However, Raz-Kids has an iPad/Android app and the kids love it. I have never heard of Lexia either, so thanks for sharing!

    Real Teachers Learn

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son's school uses Raz Kids and Lexia. I think the Lexia program is only utilized for targeted students. My son started first grade on guided reading level D and made it to K/L by the end of the year. This is due in large part to the extra work he did at home on Lexia. I'm very happy with the program. At the elementary school I teach at, we used Fast ForWord. I didn't see much in the way of results. Kids would progress in the program but I didn't see any noticeable growth in the classroom. This year, we are switching over to Read180 which I've heard greats things about!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top