"Come On Down!" It's A Game Show to Spark Motivation

09 November 2013
I'm linking up with Joanne for the wonderful Spark Student Motivation.
Let us do this thing because the price is right!


If you've read some of my earlier posts you've seen that I weekly co-teach with a second grade teacher. This week we decided to do something a little bit differently based on our Fall Festival (all-school assembly from the previous week) where I was dressed as the game show host.  Just imagine a classier version of Alex Trebeck mixed with a touch of Ron Burgnudy.   

The students had asked if I could host a game show in their classroom and well, I am nothing if not accommodating--so I immediately knew this was a done deal.  

On Thursday afternoon I walked into their classroom in a suit, my own version of an ascot, a wig, and stick-on mustache.  THE PRICE IS RIGHT KIDS!



So we had our own little game show in the classroom and I even provided background music from The Dating Game and The Price Is Right.  I have no shame.

Now I'm sure you're wondering how is this even teaching (or educational)(or what the heck is this?).  And those are all good questions, so let me tell you.  About a year ago I found a couple of free game show-type English Language Arts apps from Lakeshore Learning called Language Adventures.  These apps are excellent at reinforcing ELA and Math skills.  There are also two apps for grades 1-3 and 4-6.  I've used these quite a bit with my students and it ranges from 1:1 to whole class.



I would highly recommend purchasing these apps not just because of the information and skills students can practice, but each question can actually be a jumping off point for a teacher, and the game is easy to use and understand.

There are also math versions of this available too.  I don't have those, but if they are anything like this I might need to buy myself some more.  At $1.99 you really can't go wrong.



8 comments:

  1. You always find the best apps! It looks like those students had a fun and memorable experience!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a touch of Ron Burgundy every day would be a great thing!! I love Will's Alex Trebeck. What a memorable teaching day for you and your students. I am going to look into this app - I am sure my students would love this - I'm sure I will not be dressing up like Veronica Corningstone though - just can't pull it off : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a lot of fun. I have it pinned, and I will definitely check it out. Thank you!

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth
    Follow me on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious and absolutely educational. They will remember this for always!
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet we play our Price is Right music at the same time-it's my all time favorite! Game shows are super motivational! My dream was to go on Price is Right before Bob Barker retired (I even wanted to go for my honeymoon-dream didn't come true!). I love that you dress up too! Thanks for sharing and linking up Matt!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. ROBLOX is empowered by an ever growing player base of over 300,000 creators who produce an infinite variety of highly immersive experiences.

    These experiences range from 3D multi-player games and competitions, to interactive adventures where friends can take on new personas to discover what it feels to be a dinosaur, a miner working a mine or an astronaut on a space exploration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trying to find the Ultimate Dating Site? Create an account and find your perfect date.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you'd like an alternative to randomly picking up girls and trying to find out the right thing to do...

    If you'd rather have women hit on YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in noisy pubs and night clubs...

    Then I urge you to play this eye-opening video to learn a amazing secret that might get you your personal harem of hot women:

    Facebook Seduction System!!!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top