Young Grasshopper, A Writing Prompt w/ Insects & Animation

25 January 2014
Watch this 10-second (really) short film and think of how you could use it as a writing prompt in class.  My first reaction was a mix of "cool, bugs and cartoons," but then it jumped to "the kids should see this."  This is just creativity and imagination waiting to happen when the students are allowed to finish this story.  There's just so many options.

Sit back and enjoy these 10 seconds of glory.


From Wayne Unten's Vimeo page:
"In 1903, Olivia Wright was the first to pilot the great grasshoppers of North America."
While taking my kids to the playground, I shot live-action footage of a grasshopper, using my iPhone.
This is one of many short animated clips I've made for fun. I might continue this particular clip as an Insect Aviation series... who knows :)
It was my first project using TV Paint animation. My work-in-progress can be found on my blog: animatingforfun.com.

 My plan is to use this with a couple of grades for some creative writing/engagement/motivational activities..  We can also slip in some extension activities with the iPad such as animating their stories and bringing their creations to life just like the grasshopper.


So yes, this is a little preemptive Spark Student Motivation...and I'm okay with that.  Thanks to Joanne for the great link up!  What are you planning or doing to Motivate your students?


For those of you old enough to remember 
this is a bit like Honey, I Shrunk The Kids.  
And that's okay.



Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top