Spark Students: Doodle 4 Google

08 February 2014

Google is holding their annual doodling contest for students, Doodle 4 Google 2014.  We've all seen the doodle change on Google's homepage (right now it is olympics), but for the past couple of years they have challenged kids to create their own.  This year the theme is "creating an invention that can help the earth".

In working with a couple of 2nd grade classrooms we first brainstormed how he could help the earth by breaking it down into smaller chunks (such as home, school, environment, community, and animals).  Then we shared examples/ideas of how we could make each place better.  Google then suggested (they have lesson plans) telling the story of how Band-Aids were invented as a small resource for a family, but exploded into an invention used around the world to help everyone.

The kids are so creative with their inventions.

Finally, we spent a little time looking at the doodles that Google has done in the past, hopefully to help spark some ideas.  When the lesson was over it was time to create.  Students did have some difficulty thinking "around the word Google", but once a few got it--they all began to fly with it.


If you do decide to participate in this lesson one word of advice:  Demonstrate how to draw around the word Google.  This takes some practice for the kids, so you should SHOW THEM by making a drawing yourself.  Otherwise students will just trace the word Google.  That is the one change I made from teaching my first class to the second (I reflected on how I could better instruct my kids).

Here is the link if you want to join in:  DOODLE 4 GOOGLE 2014

So that's it for Spark Student Motivation.  I'm hoping to get into a few more classrooms and try it out.  As I've said before, I love seeing the differences in ideas in all grade levels.  It gives great perspective.

Thanks so much to Joanne for the wonderful link-up!  I'm always glad to be a part of it!





7 comments:

  1. I'm doing this same thing in my classroom during our enrichment time in the morning! I'm so excited. We are starting our activities on Monday and spreading it out over the course of the week- our enrichment time is very limited so it'll take a few days to really explore and use our imaginations. I can't wait to see what the other activities that they will release for activity 2 and 3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about this contest, so thanks for spreading the word ! I bet all kids would love it! It looks like you have some winners! I'm not sure how I can model this activity...I'm a horrible artist that makes stick people and corner suns! LOL! I'm definitely sharing your post with my art teacher! Thanks for sharing and linking up Matt!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this but I am going to check it out for sure! Thanks for keeping me "with it"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this contest before, but what a wonderful thing! I have quite a few kids that I know would love this. Thank so much for sharing (and for the tip!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always find the coolest tech-related ideas- what a fun creative activity for your students to do!
    Aylin
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our Art teacher took this project on last year and had the kids do this in her class. I would imagine she will do it again with them, but I need to double check with her to make sure. So cool!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally missed out on the contest with my kids last year because I was on maternity leave! I just printed out an entry form and will be making copies for all my kids. Thanks for sharing!

    Rissa
    Keep Calm and Hoot On

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top