Live Video Feeds of Animals Around the World! Spark Students!

15 March 2014

As spring begins to roll in it is time to take notice and utilize some of the great Live Video Feeds of Animals around the world.  Take advantage of the great outdoors (no, not the John Candy movie) by bringing animals into your classroom without the threat of them attacking you in the wilderness.  Except for spiders--they're are everywhere and they are watching us.

There are multiple live video-fed websites to choose from around the ol' internets, but today I'm mainly focusing on Explore.org which has over 30+ video feeds to pick from.  Earlier today I watched pups from a Great Dane Rescue facility chase each other in the snow.  There's also the grizzly bears in Alaska that catch salmon all day or the eagles--we can't forget about the eagles (Amurca!).  And owls, bees, pandas, penguins, yada, yada, yada.

VISIT: EXPLORE.ORG

These are great for incorporating real-world learning in the classroom (and really quickly too).  Think of this as your own Magic School Bus adventure.  Take you kids out of the textbooks and into the world.  There's a feature that allows users to capture snapshots of the video at just the right times.  People can then share those and comment (if you feel so inclined).

Below is a live feed of bees that I've embedded.  If you can't tell Explore.org is a pretty user friendly site (which is always appreciated in educational circles).


Live streaming video by Ustream

So jump over and check out all the options and videos you can use in your classroom.  I've used a few in my class for student motivation, interest, and to take kids outside of their (sometimes typical) suburban lifestyle.  


Just watch out for those BIG BEARS!



Today's post was brought to you by the always wonder Joanne at Head Over Heals For Teaching to SPARK Student Motivation in the classroom.  She's always has tremendous ideas and so many other bloggers join in too.  Go see what's up!

Screenshots from Explore.org






10 comments:

  1. I agree, Matt! Youtube and live feeds like these capitalize on our kids' interested in media. I've recently found a TON of books that have been recorded on Youtube, and the kids benefit a lot by hearing the fluent reading and reading along. Great post idea! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the reminder about the live feeds. I've used them a couple times in the past but only briefly. I should try to use them a little more extensively. How about you work on a unit for that?!? Haha! Love your gifs as always too, Matt!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this site before, so thanks for that! I can imagine the kids being really into watching some of the more exotic animals!

    -Nick
    Sweet Rhyme – Pure Reason
    Follow my blog with Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! These live feed on animals is awesome! Thanks for fearing. The kids will love it!

    http://teachinglittlemiracles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! Such fun--gotta love it! :0)

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this website, but I LOVE the idea! I'm off to check it out now - thanks for the suggestion, Matt!

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Matt for the kind words! :) I'm going to have you write my advertisements! That site looks incredible! I know my students would go crazy over it. I could use this in so many ways for writing. You always have such creative ways to engage your students. Thanks for sharing and linking up!
    P.S. Why did you have to disclose that spider information??!!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why can't we watch The Great Outdoors. That is one of my all time favorite movies. I'm laughing at the eagles 'Merica reference. hahahaha!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you whole heartedly about the power of the live feed! We just finished our unit on ecosystems and spent time daily looking at Pete's Pond in Botswana. We saw giraffes, elephants, all sorts of birds, steenbok, a lizard, and owl and more! It was truly amazing to watch the sun set there and realize that it was the same sun that was blazing away over us. Here's the link to the live feed. It's awesome! http://www.mashatu.com/petes_live.htm Scroll down to see the live feed.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top